Friday, June 6, 2008

Day 7 - Friday, June 6, 2008




Day 7

Meridian, Mississippi to Shreveport, Louisianna
Be sure to check out my photo albums on Facebook.





Melt. Molt. Malt.

We left Meridian, Mississippi at 9:30 AM and it was already hot. By 11:00 AM it was 90 degrees. I think my stuffing is starting to melt. Or molt. But we cool down every few hours by stopping for a chocolate malt or ice cream sandwich, so I guess the heat does have its upside.


We headed west on I-20 to Jackson, with the archeologist reading Ivy & Bean books to the little human while the oldest human religiously followed the speed limit.

Traces of Natchez
In the early afternoon, we took a scenic detour to get on the Nachez Trace Parkway, an old merchant trail used by early pioneers that runs from Nachez, Louisianna to Nashville, Tennesee. At one point, the archeologist got very excited and yelled, "Look! Look! Flamingoes!" We all turned to look, wondering what flamingoes were doing in the middle of the forest, but all we saw were some curved red pipes sticking out of a swampy field. Apparantly, the archeologist's eyesight has been adversely affected by her glandular problem.
Vicksburg, Mississippi
In Vicksburg, the little human wanted to go to the Vicksburg Battlefield Museum, probably because it was shaped like a big battleship. Sort of. The overall architectural effect was somewhere between creepy and comical.
Amazing Coincidence!
In need of a bio break, we took an unexpected exit (124) off of I-20 West and had the wildest coincidence. There at the end of the ramp was a sign that said "Russell Sage Wildlife Area." Well, since I'm basically wild life (remember, I'm a bear!) and I'm from Russell Sage, I insisted that we go check out this place. It turned out to be a 17,000 square mile wildlife refuge run by the Louisianna State Parks. When I get back to campus, I'm going to find out if this is the same Russell Sage or if there could be two of them.
Shreveport, Louisianna
We continued to drive westward on I-20, stopping at Shreveport, Louisianna for the night. The archeologist took a tour down on the Louisianna Boardwalk and watched the sun set on the Red River overlooking the Neon bridge between Boussier City and Shreveport.
We decided to splurge and stay in a fancy hotel tonight. Sometimes you just have to go over your budget. One of the humans, the archeologist, is very excited about this because you can make your own gourmet Belgium waffles for breakfast.






4 comments:

Kelli Harris Photography said...

You're in my neck of the woods! That neon bridge is the Texas Street Bridge. I hope you and your humans have a wonderful roadtrip.

Sharon R said...

Way to go, intrepid Bear!! I just wish I could tell Aggie Stillman about the Russell Sage Wildlife Area.

Russell Sage On the Road said...

Dear Kelli,
Thanks for your comment. We loved the Texas Street Bridge so much that we drove over it several times!
Jackie

Russell Sage On the Road said...

Dear Sharon,
Somehow, I think that the intrepid Aggie knows -- maybe she's even watching over us!
Jackie